Friday, May 2, 2008

5.3.08 - Saturday - Chiang Mai City




So today the kids got a break from their rigorous art and dance training and Michelle and I spent some time in "downtown" Chiang Mai. We got a late start to the day, but it turned out to be really enjoyable.

Much of the main city area is surrounded by a moat, which used to be the boundary of Chiang Mai. Although now there is little difference between the areas inside and out of the square city.


We sectioned off a third of the square that we planned to walk and we finished it in about 5 hours. While going in and out of alleyways and shops, Michelle and I mostly talked about Lost theories, painting philosophy, and the kids at Agape. We helped each other remember the kids' names and told each other our own little stories that we've gathered about them.
For lunch Michelle had a yellow curry and I had a "jungle" curry, all for about $3 - man, I'm really loving this stuff!



We also found some great batik work. It is done on thin fabric - so we may be able to pack one in our luggage.

We poked our head into a couple of the many "Wats" (temples) that are in the city. Some are more than 700 years old and they are a bit intimidating, but one of the monks quickly greeted us and spent 10 minutes practicing his english.





We ended the night at one of the only little restaurants open past 9pm. There were about 6 older British guys there, flipping between about 6 football matches on the TV. We shared a super soup called Tom Kha.

We got a Tuk Tuk (3 wheeled taxi) ride home. Our friends had told us that we could barter with the drivers, but one attempt and one disgusted look from the driver later - I quickly reverted to his extremely reasonable first offer! It is really quite an experience trying to barter with prices that are already less than 1/5 of what one would pay in the States. Here's an earlier photo of a Tuk Tuk -


So we're at the apartment now, listening to the rain that has been going most of the day. Here's an earlier photo of our room -

In order to get a wifi connection, I must sit where that chair is - with my computer against the corner. (sometimes we can get it where Michelle is sitting!) We're actually really lucky.

Oh, by the way, any beauty that comes through in these photos is with great thanks to Amy for helping me pick out a great used camera and letting us borrow a nice lens. (and any blurriness is completely due to our inexperience with SLRs!)

Have a great weekend, talk to you soon.

Luke

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The freedom and excitement of walking an unknown city for five hours sounds life changing—especially with someone you love. See, if I had planned the trip it would have had an schedule with different events at each hour. I think when I go to Egypt and Israel I'll keep in mind this wonderful post I just read and throw that itinerary out for a few days:)

Thanks for sharing!

Tiffany

Anonymous said...

Wow. How exciting! What a wonderful free day in Chiang Mai City. It sounds like adventure, wonder, and beauty at every turn. Thanks for sharing the stories and the photos. It helps ease the fact that we miss you two.

Have a Wonderful Time!
T!

✙ patron saint of ulster ✙ said...

Beautiful sister
Handsome brother
(the sequel to crouching tiger hidden dragon, probably) (said like dax)

Empty Voice said...

crouching hidden furry thing

Anonymous said...

Dear Michelle and Luke,

Jean sent me the URL and it has taken me a few days to catch up on everything you have been doing. Your discriptions of your travels and the sites you have seen a truly vivid. I can almost picture it myself.

I can't tell you how impressed I am with the work you are doing. You are two very courageous young people making a beautiful, indelable mark on those children's lives. God bless you for it.

I hope the rest of your journey is as safe, blessed, and rewarding. Take care.

Aunt Christi

Kira said...

Hi! Just wanted you guys to know I'm out here in cyberspace, thinking of you guys often, and drooling every time you talk about food. I've had to order out Thai twice in the past week because I can't stop thinking about it after reading your posts ('course it costs a bit more in Jersey).

kobie said...

it's so great to read about your adventures!! beautiful!